Culinary Notes

Everything you need to know about cooking.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

The South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes or Less

I have every one of the South Beach Books. Phase 1 third day of the 2nd week is the hardest to get through. Your body has rid itself of those high glycemic foods, so you crave and want to eat some bread or other processed white flour food item.
I have done every and I mean every diet out there (Atkins, Weight Watchers,Soup diet,Slim for Life, Slim Fast, American Heart Assoc. I also took Redux to lose weight which has caused me some heart trouble. Everytime any of the above was done I would loose then fall off the diet and gain what I lost plus an additional 20+ lbs. This was the only one which made since for me and has allowed me to have that cookie, french fry, or brownie once in a while and still keep on the diet.

I enjoy this cookbook more as it is simple. The first cookbook was too in depth. More for chefs to cook with vs a working person. I hate having to be in the kitchen cooking for hours even when I was not dieting. Very simple recipes that allow short prep times. The fewer the ingredients the better for me. Best part helps with the making of a grocery list and tells you which foods to always keep on hand, so when you need to fix a fast meal you have everything.

The South Beach Diet book is a must and you need to read through it. I skipped over the stories after a couple and went to the heart of what Dr. Agatston states about his diet (Not really a diet for me, just a guide to great healthy eating). Do highlight,write in the margins and use post it notes as you read the first book. This diet(guide to healthy eating) is about making your body work to process the foods which you eat instead of eating processed/high glycemic foods which your body doesn't have to work much to process. He even gives you a list of acceptable foods to eat in Phase 1. I leave this on my refrigerator even now, to remind myself that even though I am not in Phase 1 I still eat those foods which are best during Phase 1.
What I took from his books: Eat to live with the right vegetables, dairy products,proteins and fruits.

Reviewer: Suzan Plummer "Suzan"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home